Back in December I posted an interview with John Szczepaniak about his Untold History of Japanese Game Development books.
You can read the full feature here: Eastern Promise
Now John is pleased to announce the launch of the book as a digital edition, thanks to StoryBundle. For just $12 you can get a lot of content in the Mega Game Bundle, including both volumes of the Untold History series so far. That’s NINE books in multiple formats, for reading on your portable device or computer. Check out the page at:
You have just 21 days to purchase at this great price.
Here’s the launch text from StoryBundle themselves.
STORYBUNDLE’S MEGA GAME BOOK BUNDLE DEBUTS EXCLUSIVE GAME DESIGN, CULTURE BOOKS FOR “PAY WHAT YOU WANT” PRICE
Curated by Simon Carless
Continuing its popular “pay what you want” ebook bundles, StoryBundle is very proud to present the Mega Game StoryBundle – the latest in the series of its acclaimed ebook bundles. This specially picked set of 9 fascinating game culture & history books once again features a multitude of great titles for a fraction of their retail price.
The basic purchase tier ($3 or above) for the Mega Game StoryBundle includes Hardcore Gaming 101 Digest Vol. 1: Strider and Bionic Commando from Kurt Kalata & friends, a bite-sized but gorgeous look at two classic Capcom franchises, their clones, and related titles, as well as Mathew Kumar’s Exp. Negatives, a StoryBundle exclusive compiling gutsy, offkilter game writing from the acclaimed physical zine.
Also available at this tier is Videogames For Humans, from Merritt Kopas & contributors – an inspiring, thought-provoking book which twins walkthroughs of Twine games with commentary from diverse authors, and The Kobold Guide To Board Game Design by Mike Selinker, in which a veritable all-star line-up of top board/card game designers (James Ernest, Richard Garfield, Steve Jackson & more) take you through the philosophy and reality of making games.
The higher-tier rewards – available at the payment tier of $12 or your local equivalent – include The Untold History Of Japanese Video Games Vol. 2 by John Szczepaniak, a gigantic book of exclusive Japanese game developer interviews and history (Hudson, Nazca, Human, more!) – with Vol. 1 as a free bonus, plus touching Zelda-inspired graphic novel Second Quest from Braid artist David Hellman & veteran writer Tevis Thompson.
In addition, you’ll get StoryBundle exclusive @Play: A History Of Roguelikes from John Harris, updating his much-loved columns for the GameSetWatch website & adding a number of brand new articles along the way, and finally, Boss Fight Books: Shadow Of The Colossus by Nick Suttner – one of the standout video game books of 2015, and a lyrical ode to the classic Fumito Ueda-led game. – Simon Carless
The initial titles in the Mega Game Bundle (minimum $3 to purchase) are:
• Exp. Negatives (StoryBundle Exclusive!) by Mathew Kumar
• HG 101 Digest Vol 1 – Strider and Bionic Commando by Kurt Kalata
• Videogames for Humans by Merritt Kopas
• Kobold Guide to Board Game Design by Mike Selinker
If you pay more than the bonus price of just $12, you get all four of the regular titles, plus five more:
• Boss Fight Books: Shadow of the Colossus by Nick Suttner
• @Play – Exploring Roguelike Games (StoryBundle Exclusive!) by John Harris
• Second Quest by David Hellman and Tevis Thompson
• The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers: Volume 2 (Bonus: Vol. 1 Included!) by John Szczepaniak
The bundle is available for a very limited time only, via http://storybundle.com. It allows easy reading on computers, smartphones, and tablets as well as Kindle and other ereaders via file transfer, email, and other methods. You get multiple DRM-free formats (.epub and .mobi and some .pdf for complex layouts) for all books!
It’s also super easy to give the gift of reading with StoryBundle, thanks to our gift cards – which allow you to send someone a code that they can redeem for any future StoryBundle bundle – and timed delivery, which allows you to control exactly when your recipient will get the gift of StoryBundle.
Why StoryBundle? Here are just a few benefits StoryBundle provides.
• Get quality reads: We’ve chosen works from excellent authors to bundle together in one convenient package.
• Pay what you want (minimum $3): You decide how much these fantastic books are worth to you. If you can only spare a little, that’s fine! You’ll still get access to a batch of exceptional titles.
• Support authors who support DRM-free books: StoryBundle is a platform for authors to get exposure for their works, both for the titles featured in the bundle and for the rest of their catalog. Supporting authors who let you read their books on any device you want—restriction free—will show everyone there’s nothing wrong with ditching DRM.
• Give to worthy causes: Bundle buyers have a chance to donate a portion of their proceeds to charity.
• Receive extra books: If you beat our the bonus price, you’ll get the bonus books! StoryBundle was created to give a platform for independent authors to showcase their work, and a source of quality titles for thirsty readers. StoryBundle works with authors to create bundles of ebooks that can be purchased by readers at their desired price. Before starting StoryBundle, Founder Jason Chen covered technology and software as an editor for Gizmodo.com and Lifehacker.com.
For more information, visit our website at storybundle.com, tweet us at @storybundle and like us on Facebook.
Kindle versions now available here: